Close Menu
GunTacGear
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Trending

College Football’s AP Top 25 Is out: Who’s overrated, underrated and flat-out snubbed?

August 17, 2026

AAFES boss leaves legacy of benefits for more veterans and stronger perks for all

August 17, 2026

Texas dad faces murder charge after estranged wife found dead at suburban home: Police

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
GunTacGear
Subscribe
X (Twitter)
Login
GTG Trusted Journalism in Firearms News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Tactical
  • Videos
GunTacGear
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Home»Tactical
Tactical

Boeing wins first production contract for jet-powered JDAM

By August 6, 20263 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Boeing wins first production contract for jet-powered JDAM
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The U.S. Air Force has committed $75 million to an initial production run of a jet-powered guided bomb that can fly more than 300 nautical miles, Boeing said Wednesday.

Boeing’s BSU-111/B Payload Delivery Unit is a wing-and-turbojet engine kit that converts a 500-pound Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) into a long-range JDAM (JDAM LR) dubbed the GBU-75. The result is a gravity bomb with the reach of a cruise missile.

Boeing said it has spent nearly $100 million of its own money on the program.

“Scaling production of the GBU-75 will provide the fleet with an affordable, sustainable solution designed to eliminate long-range land and sea-based threats to U.S. and international forces,” said Bob Ciesla, vice president of Boeing Precision Engagement Systems.

The BSU-111/B wing-and-engine kit is the latest modification to the JDAM family, which has previously seen the gravity bomb receive a tail kit that steered it roughly 15 nautical miles and a wing kit that further stretched that distance to 40.

The Kratos-designed TDI-J85 engine pushes that past 300.

The JDAM LR’s capabilities go beyond land strikes. The QuickStrike Long Range mining variant pairs it with a bomb carrying a ship-tracking sensor. Boeing has shown concepts loading large numbers onto Air Force bombers, though no Air Force buy has been announced.

The Air Force Life Cycle Management Center at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, buys JDAM for both the Air Force and U.S. Navy. The first GBU-75s are bound for the Navy.

The Navy demonstrated the weapon back in April, when Super Hornets released two JDAM LRs over the Point Mugu Sea Range off California.

The April 1 round separated cleanly, fired up its engine and flew 34 minutes before landing within meters of its target. The April 3 round added altitude changes and maneuvering. Each covered roughly 200 nautical miles.

When announcing those tests in April, Capt. Sarah Abbott, the Navy’s Precision Strike Weapons program manager, emphasized the need to give the fleet’s JDAMs greater standoff range.

“As Naval Air Forces in theater continue to rely heavily on JDAM systems, the program recognizes a critical need to provide the fleet with greater standoff range,” she said. “This new capability allows pilots to engage targets from significantly safer distances, maintaining a tactical advantage in contested environments.”

A Joint Direct Attack Munition Long Range (JDAM LR) pictured during testing. (Boeing)

Reusing existing infrastructure is a key aspect of the program’s appeal.

Navy budget documents describe JDAM LR as a modification to the baseline program, built on the existing production line and guidance hardware. Any jet that can drop a conventional JDAM can carry the new variant without modification, according to Boeing’s release.

The award, which had not appeared in the Pentagon’s daily contract announcements as of Aug. 5, is an undefinitized action, meaning Boeing began work before the two sides agreed on a price. The Government Accountability Office has long called these contracts risky because contractors are reimbursed for allowable costs, regardless.

Boeing’s release did not say how many GBU-75s the contract buys, how much they cost or when deliveries begin.

About Michael Peck

Michael Peck is a correspondent for Defense News and a columnist for the Center for European Policy Analysis. He holds an M.A. in political science from Rutgers University. Find him at theuncommondefense.com. His email is mikedefense1@gmail.com.

Read the full article here

Keep Reading

AAFES boss leaves legacy of benefits for more veterans and stronger perks for all

CENTCOM commander visits USS Abraham Lincoln amid mental health concerns

US awards Raytheon $22.9 billion deal to boost Tomahawk output

After traumatic health ‘crash,’ Austin Tice’s mom renews search for answers

Pentagon inks deals with Boeing, RTX to boost production of SM-3 components

Woman charged over vandalism of World War II Memorial

Editors Picks

AAFES boss leaves legacy of benefits for more veterans and stronger perks for all

August 17, 2026

Texas dad faces murder charge after estranged wife found dead at suburban home: Police

August 17, 2026

CENTCOM commander visits USS Abraham Lincoln amid mental health concerns

August 17, 2026

The Thompson Submachine Gun

August 17, 2026

Top Articles

California stabbing victim’s friend blasts ‘failed’ justice system over illegal immigrant suspect’s release

August 17, 2026

US awards Raytheon $22.9 billion deal to boost Tomahawk output

August 17, 2026

US awards Raytheon $22.9B Tomahawk deal as Trump dismisses weapons stockpile concerns

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram
© 2026 GunTacGear. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Sign In or Register

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below.

Lost password?